So, yes, it was completed in time for Christmas (it was a bit of rush at the end, I will admit!), and I am very proud of it. To say that doing Cross stitch patterns with metallic thread is difficult is a bit of an understatement, but it's worth it for the results. Unfortunately, a still photograph does not show up all that wonderful sparkle sufficiently. Next time I will take a video to show it's full sparkly glory, before I send it off.
There are a few things I will change when I do the final charting, mainly around the 'Christus est natus' section. I would use Gothic lettering for that section too, and I would change the scroll's colouring from mauve to red. The angel's hair needs a little modification too, and I would position him/her a little further down, so that I could make a little more of the star (some say it was Halley's comet - I don't know, but I like the effect).
My current view on what metallic thread works best in cross stitch has not really changed from my last post about cross stitching in metallic threads. Gutermann metallics and Madeira metallics worked best for me. You may have to group two, three or even four threads together to get satisfactory coverage on 25 count evenweave, and this can make handling quite exciting. Using shorter lengths helps, but there is still a high wastage due to the wear on the threads. Despite all the niggles, I would do it all again for the sumptuous effects you get (you can't beat a bit of bling in the dark days of the winter Solstice). As Madeira metallics have a much bigger colour range, I will probably use them more widely in future. Both types are widely available in the UK; Gutermann on Amazon and in stores, and Madeira at Barnyarns and in some stores.
I hope to try Kreinik threads/ Braid in my next 'glittery' project. The problem I have with them, is getting hold of the full range of colours in each of the braid thicknesses. If anyone knows of a good source in the UK please let me know.The best I have found so far is Lakeside Needlecraft.
In the meantime, I have started designing 2022's Christmas stocking, and am looking forward to finding some new inspiration on my travels (Covid and travel regulations permitting........Umm!).
Happy stitching! B x
No comments:
Post a Comment