This is yet another new addition to my Iris ensata collection. (To be honest, not many survived the move from our last home. I had planned to dig them all up and split them, but then the purchasers wanted an early completion of the Sale, and I never got round to it. It's a great pity, in that I had most of the Rowden Garden cultivars, which are now quite difficult to source). But I digress. Back to the current collection.
From its name, I assume that this cultivar came from Japan originally. There is no listing on the wiki.irises.org website. It is a flat double form standing about 20 inches (50 cms) high, and striking indigo blue stripes(veins) on the white fall. The flowers this year were about 6 inches across (15 cms), and flowered from the middle of June to early July - about three weeks. The style arms (the three central, triangular arranged bits) are a deep intense blue. It currently resides between Aquilegias and a Veronica, neither of which complements it particularly. I think the Aquilegias will have to be moved (The Veronica provides summer colour when the Iris ensata have finished), and I have just acquired a lovely new Campanula percicifolia alba, which I think will look fabulous alongside it. Next year's photos will reveal all!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So though I mainly buy my Iris ensata from specialist growers, there are some of the larger garden centres which do sell a few of the more rarer types of iris. Barton Grange near Preston Lancashire is one such. I bought Iris ensata Azuma Kagami there, but did not take a picture at the time. However, I did buy Iris ensata Gusto there as you can see from the pictures below.
Barton Grange may not sell many irises, but they are always top quality plants. It's also a great place to visit, whether you're a plantsperson, someone looking for garden accessories, tools, materials, home furnishings, and they even have a restaurant, cafe and food-hall.
We don't have many places which sell Iris ensata in the UK, so I will eventually make a list of those which I have used and found satisfactory.



No comments:
Post a Comment